(Note: according to EP in the comments below, Dell posted an updated XP driver since I wrote this entry. Dell’s driver is at
I have not tested this myself – see EP’s comment below for further information).
May 2014 Update:
I went to run band in a box for the first time since building my system only to find MIDI wasn’t working properly (going into the DXDIAG Music tab and trying to play sounds on the midi drivers failed).
I was perplexed as to why this would be since everything appeared to be configured correctly. I recalled the above driver update so I finally installed it on my own machine and, indeed, the MIDI problem was fixed.
I will leave this blog entry for those still searching for the driver; HOWEVER, you should use the link above, not my instructions below.
I just want to post this in case there is any one else trying to do the same thing.
I have a Dell Vostro 270 that I want to run Windows XP on. Of course, Dell doesn’t provide XP drivers for that system (even though I can buy a brand new optiplex which does – RRRRR).
I looked high and low for an XP driver, but there is not one to be found. Unlike some of the other hardware mfg’s, Conexant doesn’t post any drivers on their website – you have to rely on the PC vendor.
I looked at the Windows 7 driver and there is an XP directory so it seems this should be workable.
After several hours of research I found the answer.
First, download the Windows 7 32 bit driver. If you can’t find it, search the web for R307709.EXE. That is the driver install file I used to fix this.
At the time of writing, I could find this file at
Extract the EXE file into the R307709 directory (c:\dell\drivers\r307709).
In the device manager, right click on the unknown device (the audio card), select properties, and then click on the details tab. For the device instance id you will see something that starts with
If you don’t see this, chances are slim this procedure is going to work for you. 14F1 indicates this is Conexant and 50A1 indicates the device is Conexant HD Audio. The following website is great for figuring out these codes:
After the DEV parameter is the SUBSYS parameter. Chances are the reason the install fails is because the SUBSYS you have is not listed as acceptable for Windows XP. My subsys parameter is SUBSYS_10280582
To add subsys 10280582 to the configuration so it will install, I modified the file ./xp32/h61car5a.inf and added the following line
%HdAudioFunctionDriver.CNXTCodec.DeviceDesc% = HdAud2064x, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_50A1&SUBSYS_10280582
right below the line
%HdAudioFunctionDriver.CNXTCodec.DeviceDesc% = HdAud2064x, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_50A1&SUBSYS_102804F5
in the [conexant] section.
I then ran setup and it worked fine though it did give the Windows Message saying this driver had not been tested for Windows XP. That’s OK, it works fine for me.
If your subsys value is different from mine, just use your own value and see if it works.