While I had my workshop, where I use my 3D printer, tore apart for remodeling I decided to upgrade the workshop PC to windows 7.
As I was rebuilding the apps for the PC I realized I had never made a special backup for Repetier or even wrote down the primary settings. Plus I have a bunch of configurations in slic3r I did not want to rebuild from scratch.
After some quick research, I found this post:
Cool. This guy had the same problem. This post shows you how to back everything up on the old system and restore it all on the new system.
Uh, one slight problem. The old system is gone and one of the critical items you must backup is the software settings in the registry. My old system is gone – I can’t back up the registry.
I did backup the old system with SyncBack SE. Syncback is great stuff if you’ve never seen it. All critical files on all systems are backed up to my file server using this software. And I know that I backup the ntuser.dat files for each user.
So I theoretically have the old system’s registry, but how do I get to it. Turns out it is fairly easy as outlined in this post:
Essentially, you can mount an ntuser.dat hive as a subtree inside of your own registry. You can then back up the necessary tree from the registry using REGEDIT.
Once I had the backup of the old Repetier subtree, I also backed up the new Repetier subtree in case I needed to go back and deleted it from the registry, as well as unmounting the temporary ntuser.dat hive.
You then have to clean up the old Repetier exported file so it will import back into the correct subtree. In my case I had to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\temphive to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
I did this using textpad (my favorite text editor), and for some reason it wanted to save the file using unicode. Regedit refused to import the file for this reason. If you have trouble importing the old subtree, make sure your character encoding is ANSI.
Once I made this change, I started Repetier. Lo and behold, all of the configuration settings were correct! The only exception was for the printer’s COM port which had changed between XP and Win7.