(Note: as of Apr 2020, these games are available online. If you would rather play them online rather than install the SIMH emulator, see https://wp.me/p3PlCO-D3).
Last year I posted instructions on extracting and running the SIMH HP3000 emulation. I have found that many people downloading this file are doing so to run the Interactive Games on that system: WARP and MANSION.
I decided to make loading the games a little easier, and also got the ADVENTURE (Colossal Cave) game running as well as it was always my favorite.
Install the Software
First, download the zip file from:
Extract all files of hp3000Sim.zip into c:\hp3000Sim. Note: if you extract into a different directory you will need to fixup the hp.bat file.
Start the Emulator
In c:\hp3000Sim, double click on hp.bat file:
Playing the Games
To get to the games, you must logon as MGR.GAMES. Once you do this, a logon UDC will start a text-based menu system:
Now just type in the number assigned to the game and press ENTER to begin playing it.
For example, to start Adventure, type 1 followed by enter:
- The HP3000 console allows only upper case input. As far as I know, none of these old games will have issues with upper case only. In fact, some have issues with lower case.
- The HP3000 console doesn’t show a cursor thus back spacing can be difficult. Control-X will erase the entire line.
- If uppercase only / no cursor troubles you, you can connect to the emulator (127.0.0.1) using port 1054.
- Exit the menu by typing X followed by ENTER.
- Exit the menu and logoff by typing EXIT followed by ENTER.
- Don’t forget to SHUTDOWN – The HP3000 doesn’t like unexpected halts any more than Windows or Linux. Type Control-A to get the ‘=’ prompt, then type SHUTDOWN to shut the operating system down in an orderly fashion.