Portable Air Conditioner Adapter for Casement Window

I’ve lived in this house for many years and every summer, for about a month, the bedroom is just too hot to sleep in until well past bed time. Though I have central A/C, the ducting was designed for heat only and the central A/C has never been very effective upstairs.

The bedroom has just 2 skinny casement windows. I’ve looked at skinny A/C units, but none of them are skinny enough. I’ve looked at portable A/C units, but I could never come up with an acceptable venting option.

This spring I saw portable A/C units for sale at Costco and the question came up again. This time I put the right search criteria into DuckDuckGo and found a guy that had cut a piece of plexiglass the size of his screen. He then cut a hole in the plexiglass to allow for the vent:

Genius! I had been trying to work out a way to build a wedge-shaped device that the window could close down on.

After going thru various reviews, I ended up purchasing this Black & Decker model BPACT08WT. The price was right, it would cool my bedroom, and it wasn’t overkill (I don’t like stressing the wiring of this 80 year old house).

Coming up with a flange to connect the hose to the wood screen adapter was another challenge. The black and decker A/C unit uses a 5″ hose, so I ordered two difference 5″ flanges and hose clamps on amazon. When they showed up I found the flanges were exactly 5″ as well. There was no way to get the hose over the flange short of cutting it and I just didn’t like that idea.

After more research I found this flange on Amazon:

At $27.99, way more expensive than the other flanges but this offer louvers plus threads to mate to the tubing. When the flange showed up it fit properly so I was ready to begin building the full adapter. Interestingly, the flange is 3D printed.

Using the screen as a template, I cut the proper size out of a half sheet of 1/4″ plywood. Using a compass and some of the scrap, I test cut a 5.5″ hole with a jig saw and a fine blade. The flange fit properly, and  I was confident I could cut a fairly round hole in the actual project.

Once the wood was cut, the edges smoothed with a router’s 1/8″ round-over bit, and everything sanded, I primed and painted it with matching semi-gloss paint.

For final assembly, I cut out a bit of screen I had laying around and found 3 nylon bolts to fasten the flange to the wood.

The white rectangle right of the bolts is paraffin. I rubbed that onto the flange where it would come in contact with the wood. I also rubbed it around the perimeter of the finished wood. This will prevent the paint from sticking to the flange or the old woodwork in the window.

Here is the finished adapter ready to be installed:

Here is the final install:

This entry was posted in c-Misc and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.